Friday, August 13, 2010

Sending You Birthday Wishes!

Good Morning Stamping Friends! What a fun, yet busy week we've had at our home and next week looks pretty much the same! Just a few more moments of summer and then BACK TO SCHOOL!!!

This week's Blogger's Challenge theme is Birthdays. Now, you may look at this card and notice that it doesn't exactly scream...Happy Birthday! However, there is a method to my madness...lol! I made this especially for the little girl that I have been tutoring this summer. Her birthday is just around the corner. We have spent the summer working on reading and writing skills. Each time we meet, we read from a series called The Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Rylant. If you have little girls (around ages 6-10), I highly recommend this series. The stories center around three cousins that live with their Aunt Lucy because their parents are touring the world with a ballet company. The girls are sweet and kind and have just good wholesome fun and delightful adventures. In fact, they have tea with their aunt every day. Hence the reason behind the card. Not only will it be a card to celebrate my little friend's birthday, but I know that she'll look at that teacup...think about our new friends from the stories and remember all of our fun times together this past summer. (So sorry for such a long-winded explanation...lol!)

Here are some details about my creation...I started off with Jen's Sketch For You To Try. (If you head over to Jen's blog, you'll see who won some new stamps!!!) I used Kraft card stock from Papertrey Ink with Cool Caribbean accents. The yellow patterned paper is from Cosmo Cricket and the red polka dotted paper is from Bo Bunny. My little critter in the teacup in from the Tina Wenke collection by Stampavie. He's colored up with Copic Markers (BG000, BG10, BV11, BV13, C0, C1, R20, R27, R29, Y21, YG63, YG67 and the Colorless Blender.) The birthday sentiment is from Stampin' Up's Circle of Friendship (retired). My Nesties made the Kraft circle and I used Cool Caribbean with my Ric-Rac Die-namic from My Favorite Things along with some twine and an American Crafts button for the accent on the bottom of the sketch. The other button is from Doodlebug Designs. Finally, I added some Stardust Stickles to the purple blossoms to give it some sparkle.

For some more birthday inspiration, just click here to see what the other Ladies in the Blogger's Challenge group have come up with. I hope that you have a beautiful day! Thank you so much for stopping by...Toodles! :D

18 comments:

Lisa Somerville said...

Fab BD card, I'm sure she'll love it. Great colors, love how you pulled the panels together with the ric rack!

Pat Huntoon said...

So Sweet, and I am sure she will treasure this card, because she will know it was made especially for her. She will treasure it!

BarbaraW said...

I love this card. The image is delightful and the background is so cheery.

Stampin in the suburbs said...

Great card Kim. It is very 'you' with the critter and all those fabulous details. How nice that you could make something about the book series you are doing for the birthday girl. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it. I'm looking forward to some stamping fun tonight with Judi. See you then!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Darling image- love this great BD card and how nice that is it 'especially' for her!

Ida said...

Oh my goodness this is truly adorable! Love the image and I know your little friend will love it too. Thanks for the tip on the books (I'll check them out as Coleen loves to have someone read to her.)

Ida said...

Oh and Congrats on winning the new stamps. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Nikki Bond said...

The colors are super fun and the image is soo cute! Love the embellishments you added too! {SMILES}

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your card is awesome! Beautifully created. Hugs, Gayle.

Rachel Hope said...

Awwww, so sweet! TFS!

JP Card Crazy said...

What a great card so bright and cheerful!

Basement Stamper said...

You did a fantastic job with this card, the collaboration of the papers and the design with the cute image. ADORABLE!!

Clara said...

This is a way too cute image! I need to ink up the image I bought of the mouse too. I'm sure she'll love the card you made for her....it'll be perfect! Cute and fun card. :)

Lisa Bohler said...

What a fantastic birthday card! I love the button and the coloring and the rick rack! Adorable!

Barbara said...

As always, you've come up with another GREAT card! Love the image...and I think it's just perfect for a birthday theme!! Your little student is bound to love it.

Claudia Perry said...

VERY cute card! I love the button inside the circle sentiment!

Lori said...

This is so sweet! Love the bright colors. I'm sure this card will be treasured by the recipient.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Luvin' your "cuppa", adorable as always